Sunday 9 February 2014

About Me & The Debt

I've been toying with the idea of making a blog for a really long time. Having been reading/obsessing over a lot of other money and debt blogs recently and I really look up how open and honest these people are. Anonymous or not: putting yourself and financial messes out there for anyone to judge takes guts! Now its my turn. I want to be held responsible for my actions when it comes to my money and archive this journey for myself (yes I'm putting this out for the world to read but pretty much only doing this for selfish reason, although feel free to come along for this interesting ride).

Now for an introduction: I am 23 years old, currently living in an extremely small town in Saskatchewan, Canada (like I'm talking less then 1000 people). Now for this big-city-Ontario girl this was a huge shock but the small town life and REALLY cold winters has its way of growing on you and I don't every see myself moving back (sorry Ontario, car insurance is so cheap here!). My husband is the real reason I moved out here though as his job requires us to move every 5 years or so. Husband: you read, now don't go thinking the debt I'm are going to be talking about in blog is wedding debt. Nope! We got married at 21 with not much to our name, so we planned our wedding in just 12 days, and had an extremely small ceremony and a BBQ dinner afterwards in his parents backyard. My dress: less the $60 (basically just a white summer dress) and I did my hair and makeup myself. It was the best day every and I won't change anything since it was so stress free.

Unfortunately our $16,049.34 of debt is strictly self indulgence...

Let that sink in a bit.

I was blessed by having my university degree paid for by my parents, I lived at home for 21 years rent free, I had a job since high school and after my University degree was finished I got a full time job right away making around $18,000 a year, we didn't have to pay for our move out here to Saskatchewan, my husbands parents gave us the downpayment on our house as a wedding gift... seriously how could this have happened?! So spoiled rotten and we still mess things up? This is where is stops though, it has to stop. I promise to never take money for granted every again and never get ourselves into this position every again.

Ready to start this journey with me? Let's go ;o)

- M

2 comments:

  1. Welcome welcome!! Isn't small town SK great. We're probably cousins LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think anyone but people living in Saskatchewan will understand how true that statement really is! LOL

      Delete